On Saturday, August 22, 2015, Morehouse School of Medicine (MSM) held its first annual Community Preceptor Appreciation and Awards Celebration Day. The brainchild of MSM President and Dean Dr. Valerie Montgomery Rice, the Community Preceptor Appreciation and Awards Celebration Day was created to thank the more than 300 volunteer preceptors who help enhance the education of all MSM learners, many of whom travel great distances to help supervise students in the underserved communities MSM serves.
The event took place at MSM’s Louis W. Sullivan National Center for Primary Care and included an awards ceremony as well as professional development seminars that provide continuing education credits for the preceptors. MSM President and Dean Dr. Valerie Montgomery Rice, Vice President and Executive Vice Dean Dr. Sandra Harris-Hooker, and Associate Dean of Admissions and Student Affairs Dr. Ngozi Anachebe presented the recognition awards to all the preceptors in attendance; the other awards were mailed to the preceptors who were unable to attend in-person.
The following is a list of the professional development seminars given at the 1st Annual Community Preceptor Appreciation and Awards Celebration:
- Integrated Healthcare – Dr. Glenda Wrenn
- Finding Grant Opportunities – Louise Milone
- Grant Writing for Non-Profits – Louise Milone
- Clinical Networks – Drs. Priscilla Pemu, Cheryl Franklin
- GA-HITEC – Carmen Hughes
- Public Health and Its Relevance to Community Health – Dr. Elaine Archie-Booker
- GA Preceptor Tax Incentive Program – Derek Anderson and Cindy Peloquin
- Opportunities to Precept MSM Students – Dr. Martha Elks
- How to Engage the Community for Positive Change – Dr. Tabia Akintobi